McCafé® Brews Up New Espresso Bean Blend
New equipment and espresso blend expertise delivers an unmatched coffee experience for Canadian coffee lovers
TORONTO, ON (SEPTEMBER 27, 2016) – McDonald’s Canada is announcing the next step in the evolution of its coffee journey, where from coast-to-coast each McCafé specialty beverage is now made with a new, espresso bean blend created for Canadian coffee lovers.
McDonald’s and its franchisees are investing in state-of-the-art Swiss equipment that will bring European-inspired espresso beverages to approximately 1,200 restaurants nationwide over the next year. In addition, restaurant employees are receiving in-depth training to ensure each McCafé specialty beverage – including Lattes, Cappuccinos, Espressos and Americanos – is customized to each guest’s order and served in the hallmark McCafé Rewards Loyalty cup nationwide.
The new recipe was developed by a team of espresso experts based on its aroma, flavour, body and taste and then won approval from Canadian specialty coffee-drinkers through a series of taste panels held across the country.
McCafé continues to be a major driver of McDonald’s Canada overall business and connection with consumers. It has made major strides in recent years with the expansion of McCafé into grocery stores and more recently, through the launch of standalone cafés. With today’s announcement, McDonald’s continues to deliver a café experience tailored to today’s modern guests and lifestyles.
“We take immense pride in the reputation we’ve established for McCafé as a leading coffee brand in Canada. As we continue evolving the brand and build on the success of our McCafé brewed coffee business, our new espresso blend demonstrates our continued commitment to delivering the best coffee experience in the country.”
- Michele Boudria, McCafé Officer, McDonald’s Canada
“Specialty coffee lovers across the country have told us they want an authentic and more sophisticated espresso blend – and we’ve listened. We’ve sought out a new espresso bean blend, introduced state-of-the-art Swiss equipment into our restaurants to deliver consistently satisfying lattes, cappuccinos and specialty coffee that is the perfect balance of rich espresso taste and creamy smooth and frothed milk.
- Anne Parks, McCafé Menu Director, McDonald’s Canada
- The new blend features beans sourced from Central and South America, and now Indonesia.
- Each espresso beverage is made with 100% Arabica beans grown sustainably on Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms. For more information, please visit.
- According to The NPD Group, the annual Canadian quick service restaurant authentic specialty coffee* market is just over 172 million servings as of July 2016
- The McCafé Brand and Authentic Specialty Coffee was launched to Canadian Coffee lovers in 2011
- McDonald’s Canada and its franchisees have invested $17 million in new state-of-the-art Swiss equipment
- Guests can enjoy a Free Specialty Coffee with every seven hot beverages purchased through the signature McCafé Rewards on Cup Loyalty Program
About McDonald's Canada
In 1967, Canadians welcomed the first McDonald's restaurant to Richmond, British Columbia. Today, McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Limited has become part of the Canadian fabric, serving close to three million guests every day. Together with our franchisees, we proudly employ nearly 90,000 people from coast-to-coast and approximately 85 per cent of McDonald's 1,400 Canadian restaurants are locally owned and operated by independent entrepreneurs. Of the almost $1 billion we spend on food, more than 85 per cent is purchased from over 100 suppliers in Canada. For more information on McDonald's Canada visit McDonalds.ca.
*Authentic specialty coffee excludes flavoured coffee including English Toffee, French Vanilla, Mocha, and similar variations.
- 30 -