On Friday, 16th November, representatives of grassroots football clubs across Wales attended the 2018 FAW & McDonald’s Grassroots Football Awards ceremony at Cardiff City Stadium. The awards, now in their eleventh year, is held to recognise and celebrate volunteers, coaches, clubs and leagues throughout Wales.
This year the FAW and McDonald’s Grassroots awards received over 700 nominations, which is testament to the dedication the individuals and clubs put into the grassroots game and the impact this has. Ten awards were presented at the event by Welsh football legends Ian Rush, Jayne Ludlow, Helen Ward and Danny Gabbidon.
McDonald’s Ambassador, Ian Rush, said: “Hearing all the stories from the winners is always very inspiring. The FAW & McDonald’s Grassroots Football Awards are a great way to really highlight and congratulate the grassroots heroes in Wales whilst motivating others to get involved in volunteering and coaching. Without the help and determination from clubs, coaches and volunteers the young Welsh footballers wouldn’t have the fantastic resources to grow and develop. I want to say a massive thank you to all the winners for all their hard work keeping the grassroots gaming going.”
The 2018 FAW & McDonald’s Grassroots Football Awards national winners are:
- Volunteer of the Year – Colin Jackson
- Community Club of the Year – Fishguard Sports AFC
- Community Coach of the Year – Amlyn Ifans
- Fun Football Provider of the Year – Sports Xtra
- Grassroots Project of the Year - St Florence Girls
- Junior League of the Year - Llyn & Eifionydd Junior League
- Outstanding Achievement of the Year - David Nickless
- Young Volunteer of the Year - Joseph Proietti
- Football Mum of the Year – Amanda Matthews
- Football Restaurant of the Year – Bridgend
The FAW & McDonald’s Grassroots Football Awards are part of McDonald’s ongoing Community Partnership with the FAW.