On Thursday 20th October, representatives of grassroots football clubs across Scotland attended the 2018 Scottish FA Grassroots Football Awards, presented by McDonald’s and the Sunday Mail, at Hampden Park. The awards, now in their fifteenth year, recognise and celebrate volunteers and clubs across Scotland who dedicate their time to local grassroots football.
This year hundreds of nominations were received from across the country, with nominees first recognised at a regional level before going on to be shortlisted for the national awards. All 12 awards were presented by Scottish football legends Alex McLeish, Shelley Kerr and Suzanne Winters.
McDonald’s Grassroots Football Ambassador, Sir Kenny Dalglish MBE, commented; “Grassroots football wouldn’t exist without the amazing volunteers that put so much into the game. These awards are an important way to recognise the time, dedication and passion from those individuals. Congratulations to all the winners for their achievements and continued commitment to grassroots football.”
The 2018 Scottish FA Grassroots Awards in partnership with McDonald’s and the Sunday Mail national winners are as follows:
· Football Restaurant of the Year – Franchisee Elliot Jardine – Corstorphine, Edinburgh
· Football Mum of the Year – Claire Kidd
· Best Volunteer in Youth Football – Josephine Rodger, Milton AFC
· Best Volunteer in Adult Football – George Allan, Morgan FP AFC
· Best Para-Football Project – Team United Sports, Broxburn United
· Best Volunteer in Girls’/Women’s Football – Nigel Thorpe, Blackburn United FC
· Best Community Football for All Project – Tackling Recovery, Queens Park FC
· Best Community Football Club – Dundee West
· Best Professional Club in the Community – Hibernian Community Foundation
· Special Recognition Award – Football Memories Project
· Best Young Person – Ben Mitchell, Stirling Albion FC
· People’s Choice Award – Robbie Anderson, Spartans CFA
The Grassroots Football Awards are part of our ongoing Community Partnership with the Scottish Football Association.
To be the first to hear about new sponsorship opportunities, football events in your area or promotions to win signed merchandise, match tickets, or football kit and equipment sign up to our Fun Football newsletter [https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/football.html#footballsignup] and follow us on Twitter @FunFootballUK.