MCDONALD’S PRIVACY STATEMENT – UK
Last Updated: March 2018
This Privacy Statement (“Statement”) describes the personal information practices of McDonald’s Corporation and its wholly owned subsidiaries worldwide, including McDonald's Restaurants Limited in the UK, (“McDonald’s”) with respect to information about our customers and others who visit our restaurants, Web sites and mobile apps, including the types of personal information we collect, how we may use this information, and with whom we may share it.
Please note that many McDonald’s restaurants are owned and operated by franchisees, who are independent businessmen and women. This Privacy Statement does not apply to franchisees of McDonald’s, or to Web sites or mobile apps operated by franchisees. Please refer to the privacy notices of such franchisees for information on their practices with respect to personal information.
- Information We Collect
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- How We Share the Personal Information We Collect
- Children's Privacy Notice
- Your Choices
- Access to and Correction and Deletion of Personal Information
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Targeted Advertising
- Links to Other Websites and Social Media
- Information Security
- Retention of Personal Information
- International Data Transfers
- Changes to our Privacy Statement
- How to Contact Us
1. Information We Collect
We may collect personal information about you when you visit one of our restaurants, use McDonald’s Web sites (“Sites”), or use our web or mobile device applications (“Mobile Apps”). We refer to our Sites and Apps collectively as “Online Services”.
The types of personal information we collect may include:
- Transaction information, such as product purchased, price, method of payment and payment details.
- Personal details such as name, postal address, email address, phone number, date of birth and other contact information when you provide that information to us, such as if you register with our Online Services or enter a McDonald’s contest, competition, prize draw, or sweepstakes.
- Account information, such as username, password, and other identifiers or credentials used to access our Online Services or to acquire McDonald’s products and services.
- Other personal information you choose to provide when you interact with McDonald’s.
The circumstances in which you provide personal information may include when you:
- purchase products at our restaurants;
- register to use our Online Services;
- request to receive marketing or other communications;
- use our Wi-Fi networks, kiosks or other in-store technologies;
- enter in one of our contests, competitions, prize draws, or sweepstakes;
- submit information when providing feedback; or
- use interactive features of our Online Services.
Information Collected Through Automated Means
The providers of third-party apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on our Online Services, such as Facebook "Like" buttons, also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information is subject to the privacy policies or notices of these providers.
McDonald’s Online Services and in-restaurant technologies may collect precise information about the location of your mobile device or computer using geolocation and location presence awareness technologies such as GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or cell tower proximity. For most mobile devices and computer systems, you are able to withdraw your permission for McDonald’s to acquire this information on your location through the device or Web browser settings. If you have questions about how to disable collection of precise location information, we recommend you contact your mobile device service provider, the device manufacturer, or your Web browser provider. Please note that certain Online Services and in-restaurant technologies may not function properly without precise location information. If you would like us to delete location information we have collected that is identifiable to you, please contact us at the email or postal address listed below. Please note that we may be required by law to retain certain information.
We may combine personal information that we collect with information we receive from other sources, information about your prior transactions with McDonald’s and information that is automatically collected.
Back to Top
2. How We Use the Information We Collect
McDonald’s may use the personal information we collect to:
- fulfill your requests or orders and process payments for our products and services;
- if you give us permission, communicate with you about products and services of McDonald’s or our business partners that we believe may interest you;
- communicate with you about and administer your participation in contests, competitions, prize draws, sweepstakes, offers, promotions or special events;
- send communications to you about your orders, purchases or accounts with McDonald’s;
- send information to your contacts if you request us to do so;
- provide customer support, respond to, and communicate with you about your requests, questions and comments;
- enable you to post on our blogs and interact with McDonald’s through social media;
- personalize your experience on our Online Services and in-restaurant technologies, such as providing you with content in which you may be interested, and making navigation to our Sites and Mobile Apps easier;
- perform data analytics, including consumer research, trend analysis, and financial analysis;
- operate, evaluate and improve our business, including the development of new products and services; determination of the effectiveness of our sales, marketing and advertising efforts; and analysis and improvement of our products, offers, promotions, and Online Services and other technologies;
- protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- comply with applicable law.
We use automated information for purposes such as to (i) personalize the visitor experience in our restaurants or on our Online Services, (ii) deliver content (including advertising) tailored to our users' interests and the manner in which our users browse our Online Services or in-restaurant technologies, and (iii) manage our business. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems; administer our Online Services; identify users of our Online Services; identify a device for fraud prevention purposes, to target advertising or to personalize users' experiences; and gather demographic information about our users. We also use automated information to determine usage patterns and how we may tailor our Online Services to better meet the needs of our users.
We may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection may tailor our Online Services to better meet the needs of our users.
Facebook Custom Audiences
Where you are a registered user of Facebook, we will use your email address in an encrypted format to match with your Facebook profile so that we can provide you with personalised advertising on Facebook.
Please note that such activity is also subject to the privacy choices you have elected to make on Facebook.
Facebook Lookalike Audiences
Where you are a registered user of Facebook, we will use your email address in an encrypted format to enable Facebook to find other registered users of their services that share similar interests to you based on:
- information that we observe about you from your interactions with our Services, or when you visit one of our restaurants; and
- the information Facebook holds about you.
Please note that such activity is subject to the privacy choices you have elected to make on Facebook.
Back to Top
3. How We Share the Personal Information We Collect
McDonald’s does not sell or otherwise share personal information about you, except as described in this Privacy Statement.
McDonald's may share personal information within the McDonald's Family. The McDonald's Family includes McDonald’s Corporation, our affiliates, our subsidiaries, and our franchisees. Members of the McDonald’s Family that receive this information from McDonald’s are not authorized to use or disclose the information except as provided in this Privacy Statement.
McDonald’s may share personal information with vendors that provide services to McDonald’s, such as fulfilling orders, providing data processing and other information technology services, administering promotions, contests, prize draws and sweepstakes, conducting research and performing analytics, and personalizing individual McDonald’s experiences. We do not authorize these vendors to use the personal information or to disclose it for any purpose other than to perform services on our behalf.
Circumstances may arise where, whether for strategic or other business reasons, McDonald's decides to sell or transfer all or a portion of our business. We may transfer information we have collected and stored, including personal information, to the party or parties involved in the transaction as part of that transaction.
McDonald's reserves the right to use or disclose personal information as needed to satisfy any law, regulation or legal request, to protect the integrity of our Online Services and in-restaurant technologies, to bring or defend against legal claims, to protect the rights, interests, safety and security of McDonald's, McDonald's employees or franchisees, or members of the public, or in connection with the investigation of fraud, illegal activity or violation of McDonald's policy.
Back to Top
4. Children's Privacy Notice
A. What Personal Information Does McDonald's Collect?
We offer many features on our Sites, like games and coloring books, which do not require a child to provide any personal information. On occasion, however, we may collect personal information, such as an email address, a postal address or telephone number from children as part of an activity.
We will not collect personal information from a child under the age of 13, , without the consent of a parent or guardian. If parent or guardian consent is required, we will collect the email address of the parent or guardian so we can provide notice of our information practices and/or seek the parent's or guardian's consent.
Examples of information we collect are as follows:
- We may collect a child's email address to notify the child if he or she has won or lost a contest, competition, prize draw or sweepstakes. In that event, we will notify the child using the email address the child supplies. We will not keep the email address or use it for any other purpose.
- We may collect a child's email address in order to respond to a request from the child on a one-time basis, such as to send the child a screen saver. In this case we promptly delete the email address from our system once we have responded, and we do not use the address for any other purpose.
McDonald's will not condition a child's participation in any online activity on the child's disclosure of more personal information than is reasonably necessary to participate in that activity.
B. How Does McDonald's Use the Personal Information It Collects?
We use email addresses submitted by a child in order to respond to the child's request or to notify the child if he or she has won or lost a contest, competition, prize draw, or sweepstakes they entered. We use the email address of a parent or guardian in order to provide the parent notice of our information practices or to seek the parent's or guardian's consent.
C. How Does McDonald's Share Personal Information?
We may share a child's personal information with third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to protect the security or integrity of our Online Services, take precautions against liability, or respond to judicial process or requests from other governmental authorities, or when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
We also may share personal information collected from children with vendors that perform services for McDonald's. These services may include hosting our Sites, providing technical services to McDonald's, fulfilling requests or administering a contest, competition, prize draw, or sweepstakes. We do not authorize such vendors to disclose the personal information we share with them other than as necessary to perform the relevant service for McDonald’s.
D. Requests from Parents Regarding Our Children's Privacy Practices
Parents may review personal information we have collected from their child that has not been deleted, and can request that the personal information be deleted from our records if it has not been already. Parents also may refuse to permit further collection or use of their child's personal information, when the parent has previously provided consent. To do so, please contact us at the address, telephone number or email address provided below with your request.
E. Who Should I Contact with Questions about Children’s Privacy?
We urge parents to regularly monitor and supervise their children's online activities. If you have any questions about our children’s privacy practices, please contact us at the address or via the website link provided below in paragraph 14.
Back to Top
5. Your Choices
If you have opted-in to marketing communications, you can subsequently elect not to receive marketing communications from McDonald's by following the opt-out instructions in the marketing communications we send you; unsubscribing through the Subscriptions feature on McDonalds.com; or contacting us at the address, telephone number or email address provided below. Please note that if you opt out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still send communications to you concerning your transactions, accounts with McDonald's and any contests, competitions, prize draws, or sweepstakes in which you have enrolled
Back to Top
6. Access to and Correction and Deletion of Personal Information
If at any time you would like to access, correct, or delete personal information we have collected from you, please contact us at the postal address or via the website link listed below. In certain circumstances, including when required by applicable law, we will comply with your request. Please note that we may be required by law to retain certain information. Before McDonald’s is able to provide you with any information or correct any inaccuracies, we may ask you to verify your identity and/or provide other details to help us respond to your request. There may also be a fee as permitted by law for providing the information to you.
Back to Top
7. Cookies and Similar Technologies
Use the options in your web browser if you do not wish to receive a cookie or if you wish to set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. Click on the “Help” section of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you disable all cookies, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features of this Site.
We may also use certain technologies to determine whether you have opened an e-mail or clicked on a link contained in an e-mail.
Please note the following:
- We use both session and persistent cookies and other tracking technologies.Tracking technologies (e.g., cookies) can either be persistent (i.e., they remain on your computer until you delete them) or session-based (i.e., they last only until you close your browser).You are always free to decline tracking technologies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of Online Services.
- We may encode and protect the tracking cookies and other tracking technologies that McDonald’s sets, so that only we can interpret the information stored in them.
- Where video is available on our Online Services, we may target and track the videos you view. You consent to our tracking of your video viewing through Online Services or third-party social media for up to two years, or as permitted by applicable law, or until consent is withdrawn.
Back to Top
8. Targeted Advertising
On our Online Services, we may collect information about your online activities for use in providing you with advertising tailored to your individual interests. This section of our Privacy Statement provides details and explains how to exercise your choices.
Please note that even if you opt out, you will continue to receive advertisements, but they will not be tailored to your specific interests.
Back to Top
9. Links to Other Websites and Social Media
Back to Top
10. Information Security
McDonald’s is committed to taking appropriate measures designed to keep personal information secure. We have in place technical, administrative, and physical procedures designed to protect personal information from accidental, unlawful or unauthorized loss, access, disclosure, use, alteration, or destruction. While we take efforts to safeguard our information systems, no website, mobile application, computer system, or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Back to Top
11. Retention of Personal Information
We retain personal information for the period of time necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement and per McDonald’s records retention policies unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Back to Top
12. International Data Transfers
McDonald's is a global organization with business processes, management structures and technical systems that cross borders. As such, we may share information about you within the McDonald's Family and transfer it to countries in the world where we do business including outside of the EEA, in connection with the uses identified above and in accordance with this Privacy Statement and as permitted by the applicable laws.
Back to Top
13. Changes to our Privacy Statement
We may change this Privacy from time to time. If we change the Privacy Statement, we will post the revised version here and change the “Effective Date” listed at the top of this Statement. We encourage you to check here periodically for the most up-to-date version of our Statement.
Back to Top
14. How to Contact Us
If you wish to contact us concerning this Privacy Statement you can email email@example.com. If you wish to contact us for anything else you can write to McDonald’s Restaurants Limited, Customer Services, 11-59 High Road, East Finchley, London N2 8AW; or you can submit a form through the “Contact Us” page on our website: https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/contact-us.html
Back to Top