Training & Perks
When you join our team, you get more than just a paycheque.
Learning and Development
At McDonald’s® we offer the opportunity to “learn while you earn”. Learning and development are an important part of your McDonald's work experience and starts as soon as you join the team. Crew trainers, managers and other employees will work with you to show you the ropes, and training continues as you advance through the McDonald's system. We work hard to promote a positive coaching environment to help you develop to your full potential. In addition to gaining skills and knowledge in the foodservice and hospitality industry, your job at McDonald's will help you learn teamwork; leadership, communication and guest service skills; responsibility and time management.
We believe in giving you the tools you need to succeed, whether it’s the chance to run your own restaurant or succeed in a corporate career at McDonald’s. To be the best company we can, we have to offer the best opportunities, and we believe that the best are right here. In our Restaurant Operations and People Leadership Practices training, participants learn to:
- Develop the skills to lead others in Operational and People Excellence
- Use appropriate leadership approaches to develop high-performing teams and individuals
- Recognize the importance of team building and use appropriate tools and techniques to help teams reach their full potential
- Prioritize restaurant needs to improve People, Operations, profit and sales
- Diagnose factors to achieve our high food quality standards
- Develop a Restaurant Improvement Plan
- Use tools and techniques to develop teams
- Identify strategies to build employee engagement
- Prepare and conduct performance reviews
- Translate classroom activities into action plans
- How to put together a holistic planner to accomplish your goals personally and professionally
McDonald’s Business Leadership Practices training provides Restaurant Managers with:
- An awareness of how adopting and fostering accountability can impact business results
- An understanding of how creative thinking techniques can be applied to operational challenges within the restaurant
- An understanding of how to better develop restaurant talent to improve business results
- An understanding of the social responsibility culture at McDonald's and the motivation and ideas for incorporating social responsibility activities into their businesses
- Build fundamental business planning skills, and practice promoting a positive image of McDonald's in an effort to build community relationships
Education and Scholarships
Approximately 50% of our employees are 18 years of age or younger, and we were awarded by Canada Top 100 Employers the 2016 Top Employer for Young People award. As one of Canada's leading youth employers, McDonald's believes in responsible student employment. Education and schoolwork must come first. That's why we're always ready to help employees balance work and studies. We also believe in supporting our employees' goals to further their education through our long-standing scholarship program. For more than 25 years, McDonald's has awarded thousands of scholarships as a way of recognizing and rewarding restaurant employees for their achievements at work, at school and in their communities. Since the program began, more than 4,000 McDonald's employees have shared in scholarship awards, totaling more than $2 million.
Benefits and Rewards
Our Crew, Restaurant Managers and full-time employees are eligible for a wide range of benefits and rewards. We offer competitive starting rates plus regular wage and performance reviews to promote skills growth and earning power. Other benefits include free uniforms for our Restaurant Staff and various discounts. Full-time McDonald’s employees are eligible for enhanced total compensation and benefits, such as our Comprehensive Group Insurance Plan that offers extended health, dental, disability and life insurance for employees and their families.
McDonald's recognizes and rewards hard work, dedication, motivation and results. Appreciation comes in many forms - from a simple thank you for a job well done, to restaurant-wide recognition through programs such as the 'Employee of the Month' and management leadership awards. Outstanding Restaurant Management performance is recognized by our Ray Kroc Awards. Each year, the top 1% of McDonald’s Restaurant Managers are honored with this award, which recognizes their passion for excellence.